As part of the #Adventchallenge that I’ve been taking part in (well more like catching up on which is the story of my life!) I’ve decided to write this blog post in honour of day 5 (which was yesterday btw 🙈) and is all about ‘getting into gratitude’
I was so excited about this one because as soon as I read it, it made me smile as I was able to take a minute and really appreciate how much I actually have to be grateful for. I’ve narrowed it down to 10 things but I honestly could have kept going for days!
So here are 10 things that I am so grateful for:
1. I am so grateful that yesterday morning I woke up with a roof over my head in a warm bed with both of my boys snuggled in with me! My husband had left early for work and when I woke up properly he had sent me this picture of us all fast asleep. I didn’t even know Omari had gotten into bed with us until I woke up and it was just the best feeling in the world to have a snuggle with my first baby and my new baby.
2. I am so grateful for my husband (for taking the photo mentioned in number 1) but for also being the most supportive, caring, loving and understanding man that a woman could ask for. He works extremely hard for us all, is the best step dad to Omari, the best dad to Isaac and goes above and beyond for us every single day. Makes me feel so grateful to have him on my team! #winning
3. I am so grateful that I am able to take pretty much a full year off of work on maternity leave. I went back to work when Omari was 8 months old and I found it really difficult to have to leave him in a nursery every day. This time around I can take longer off to spend with Isaac and I know how lucky that makes me because there are a lot of Mammas out there who can’t take that long off for many different reasons – I think you are all amazing and do fabulous jobs whatever your working situation is.
4. I am so grateful for Omari. He is my first born and of course this makes him so special to me. He is such a happy and cheeky little man and as much as he drives me crazy at times, I am grateful that so many people compliment me on how polite, kind and caring he is so I must be doing something right ey!!!
5. I am so grateful for Isaac. The fact that I have been able to have 2 healthy baby boys is something in itself to be grateful for. Isaac is such a happy and chatty little baby and I am so grateful that I can be his Momma.
6. I am grateful for the school runs. As a teacher something I found very difficult was never taking Omari to school and feeling a lot of the time that I didn’t know what was going on with him at school. So much Mum guilt for always being in such a rush. Rushing to get him to the childminders, rushing to work, rushing back to pick him up from the childminders, rushing to get home and get the dinner on… the list goes on! In the 3 years of him being at school I had never even taken him in on his first day of school. This year I was able to do that and as silly as it might sound it was just the best thing in the world to me and definitely a highlight of my year. I am still grateful for them even this week while the heavens have been well and truly open! We have braved the miserable rain that has soaked Omari and I but mesmerised Isaac as he lay watching from the safe, dry and warm confines of his pushchair!
7. I am grateful for the nurses and doctors who treated me while I spent the night in hospital with mastitis. It was just awful and as much as staff in the NHS can often get a bad press, I was just so thankful to have been treated so kindly and with such compassion at a time when I was feeling so low and vulnerable.
8. I am so grateful for having just the best friends on this universe! One of those very good friends once told me that we have friends for either a reason, a season or a life time. I absolutely love that way of thinking because I’ve been so lucky to meet some amazing people in my 30 years and feel so at ease that we may not have stayed in touch. The ones that are my friends for a life time are definitely the family that I have chosen.
9. I am grateful to have been chosen to be a godmother to two beautiful children. Their parents have entrusted me with such a responsibility that I am forever grateful for. I can remember holding them both when they were teeny tiny and loving them from the moment I laid my eyes on them. One is growing into such a beautiful and courageous young lady with so much sass it makes me chuckle to think about how sassy she is as I write this! Her mum and dad will definitely have their hands full with her when she is older! (But hey – I’ll be there to help). The other is a gorgeous and happy little chappy who will soon be turning 1. I feel like his first year has absolutely flown by and I haven’t got to spend as much time with him as I have liked but I know that not being at work means I can definitely see him more now. He just holds such a special place in my heart and I can’t wait to keep watching him grow. Both of their parents are just doing the most amazing job and I am grateful that I get to be a part of that.
10. Finally, I am grateful for my family. I have such a large family that there are too many people to even mention! Of course we have our moments – what family doesn’t? But I know how lucky I am to have such a large family where there is always somebody that I could talk to. Whether it be for advice, reassurance or just a good old gossip there is always somebody whose ear I can chew off with my chatting! (Much to their dismay I imagine!)
I am actually smiling so much as I finish this just thinking about all of the things I have to be grateful for. I really could have gone on. I have bad days like everybody else and that’s normal but I do like to think of myself as a ‘radiator’ and I’m even surprising myself at the moment for all the more times I’m seeing the glass as ‘half full’ rather than ‘half empty!’
Thank you so much for reading, I hope it inspires you to think about all of the things that you’re grateful for ☺️
2 thoughts on “Feeling grateful…”
This is the loveliest post ever and made me feel all warm inside… I almost feel like I want to write one now! Xxx
LikeLiked by 1 person
Awww thank you so much! You should deffo write one! Made me feel so happy and warm writing it! Xxx
LikeLiked by 1 person